(excerpt from Indivisible email)
We want to take some time to update you again about the progress of Indivisible’s Payback Project, our campaign aimed at targeting the 10 most Trumpian Republican senators that we’re going to beat in November.
Real talk: what’s really special about the Payback Project is that no other organization is doing the work right now to plug voters directly into the grassroots groups who are going to be the blue wave builders in November. Thanks to thousands of you who have already stepped up to support this campaign, that’s exactly what we’re doing. We’re raising awareness for their votes. We’re holding them accountable. And, we’re building Indivisible group capacity in a really amazing way. We’ve sent more than 330,000 (!!!) text messages to voters in our first two Payback Project states, Arizona and Colorado, to hold Senators McSally and Gardner accountable for their Trump-enabling votes and to plug their constituents into this people-powered movement.
And starting today, we’ve launched a new Medium series, focusing explicitly on our 10 target senators and exactly why we’re dedicating our resources to paying them back. Check out our first article on Senator Martha McSally’s 95% Pro-Trump voting record, and remember to share and uplift so that others can be brought into this massive campaign.
We’ve already plugged more than 10,000 Arizonans and Coloradans into Payback Project, including connecting thousands of potential members directly with Indivisible groups working on the ground. And groups are READY. In Arizona alone, groups scheduled more than 60 events on the map from letter to the editor writing events, empty chair town halls and rallies to happy hours, canvasses, voter registration drives, Presidential Debate watch parties, and new member orientations.If you’re reading this right now and you haven’t yet found your group, stop what you’re doing and find one. And, if you’re already part of a group and have an upcoming event that you’d love to see new folks showing up, register it now so we can help spread the word.
Here are some (more) amazing numbers we wanted to share:
- Nearly 200,000 visits to paybackproject.org from all 50 states, the District of Colombia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the US Virgin Islands.
- 40,000 people have said they’re all in to do the work to defeat these 10 Senate Republicans.
- More than 5,000 folks have signed up to text into our first Payback Project states, maxing out our last couple of trainings. It’s remarkable in terms of scale and really only comparable to the kind of numbers we see during Get Out the Vote efforts much closer to the election.
- We’ve raised over a million dollars from all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Guam to support our four-pronged approach to raise awareness, build group capacity, organize to win through trainings and tools, and to get out the vote in the 9 Payback Project states.
ICYMI, here’s a video about Payback Project you can share with your friends, family, neighbors, and fellow Indivisibles to help us spread the word and get even more folks involved in this campaign.
And now, let’s get to those to-dos:
Your weekly to-dos
- Demand your representative and two senators defund Attorney General Bill Barr. The Attorney General of the United States himself, William Barr, personally intervened to try to score a lighter sentence for Roger Stone, the deeply corrupt former campaign adviser to Donald Trump. The Department of Justice is not a private law firm. The Attorney General is not the president’s personal lawyer. Yet Bill Barr is exploiting his position to run favors for the president. Call your representative and two senators, Democrat or Republican, and demand that Congress investigate Bill Barr and defund his office until he recuses himself from any Trump-related investigations or prosecutions.
- Text PAYBACK to 977-79 and join this fight right now. Even in the month since we launched the Payback Project, we’ve already seen twists and turns and had to drop everything to respond to new Republican schemes. We know that’s not going to stop, which is why we need even more folks texting, donating, and joining local groups as we continue to get payback now until the election.
- Tell your representative it’s time to end surprise medical bills. Congress needs to act in the next few months to end the exploitative practice of surprise medical bills. Every day, over 10,000 families in the United States receive a surprise medical bill. Surprise bills can cost up to tens of thousands of dollars — a devastating amount for most people. Congress needs to act to protect patients, and in the process hold down health care costs for families and the health system overall. Call your representative and tell them to end surprise medical bills for health services!
- Send a Letter to the Editor calling on the Senate to pass H.R. 1. Watching Donald Trump get off scot-free was a sad moment for our democracy. Now we need to focus on what we can do to repair our democracy. The House has already passed H.R. 1, the For the People Act, a major pro-democracy bill, but Republicans in the Senate refuse to bring it up for a vote. That’s where you come in. Our friends at the Declaration for American Democracy have put together a helpful Letter to the Editor tool that you can use to raise this important issue with your local newspapers.
- Register for the National Activist Call on March 5 at 8 p.m. ET. Make sure to join us for an update on our plan for engaging in the upcoming primaries and how you can help our #defundbarr campaign.
(Subscribe at indivisible.org for full email)